Monday, December 22, 2014

Changing the World - one Teen at a Time!

Somehow, today, you have arrived at my new blog. Maybe you spotted it on the internet and thought it looked interesting. Or perhaps you've seen my cards before. Maybe you recognize me from school.
However you arrived here, I created this blog so that I can share my mission with you. So here is my story:

I was a little girl, around seven years old. I believed in rainbows, sunshine, and the ghosts on Halloween. I was extremely excited when I arrived in India on vacation, taking in the shops full of bright clothing and unique merchandise. The rain was pouring down hard, but that didn't dampen my spirits. In a split second, everything changed.

A little girl, around the same age as me, was approaching us. She was practically skin and bones, with sticks for arms and legs. Her eyes looked tired and dead. Walking through the rain towards us, she softly asked, "Do you have anything to eat?" 

That night, I cried. 

In my short life, it had never occurred to me that some people didn't have food. I wondered where that girl was now, and whether she got enough to eat. I thought of her, battling through the rain, begging for food.

 I researched world hunger, and saw frightening numbers. While researching world hunger I was shocked to learn that our planet has been producing enough food to feed every single person since 1970. So, why are so many people starving? They don’t have the money to pay for sustenance. I was determined to find a way to make a difference.

At the same time,  before I knew how to read or write, I was telling stories. I would paint on large pieces of canvas. I had a zest for art and writing. It made my heart fill up with joy. It was something I loved then, and continues to be so to this day.

I put my overwhelming feelings gratitude and joy into my new nonprofit company.  I started this store as a sixth grader who is passionate about ending world hunger during my lifetime. 

I set up an Etsy store called Art4Hunger (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Art4Hunger ) that sells unique greeting cards to anyone around the world. These cards are made with photos of my original artwork starting when I was five years old. They are individually autographed by me. The back of most cards briefly describe my story behind the painting or my thoughts that inspired that artwork. 

I decided that 100% of the profits from all sales go to the Sacred Heart Community Service that feed thousands of hungry people.

That is why I created this blog. I made it to inform people about world hunger. I made it, knowing that every drop of water helps make an ocean. Together, we can eradicate world hunger. I can do this - with all of your help. Whether you decide to buy a card, comment below with suggestions for other ways to raise money, or simply tell your friends about me, I appreciate it all. Because I know that what one person cannot do alone, we ALL can do together. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment